Greetings all!
I'm not sure if there are any pre-rituals I need to preform before blogging, but I'll dive into it. I originally wanted to do this after tutorial on Friday but it would come out scrappy (or more scrappy that it is going to be now :P).
I'm not sure if there are any pre-rituals I need to preform before blogging, but I'll dive into it. I originally wanted to do this after tutorial on Friday but it would come out scrappy (or more scrappy that it is going to be now :P).
Been looking forward to this paper since I heard about it last year. Let's get things straight, Yes, I am a gamer, No, I'm not greasy, zit infested, obese or any of the negative image the media in the past that has been forced feed into my head. To be honest I don't know really anyone of my gaming friends to fit that stereotype (not denying their existence though, there is always some truth behind myths). Today's lecture more raised an awareness of how far society has come, from an almost hate of all things gaming, to a more technological advanced and growing community that has in some cases accepted gamers. think until Video Games are properly integrated into academic systems in its own studies like film, these stereotypes will remain. And I think that with the new generations growing up, opinions will change and balance out (like described in Wolf and Perron reading page 5-6).
My opinion of a gamer isn't limited to one that takes this to a sport, or one that is willing to pay $15 a month to immerse oneself into another world - a.k.a WoW. A gamer is one that participates on a nearly daily basis in gaming. It is like a hobby, or a sport, just on a more lager, globally interactive scale. I think that since I have immersed myself more or at least have been surrounded by gaming more than others I build a different (in my opinion more real) ideal of who are gamers. I have worked as a Gaming retail store, and my older brother works for New Zealand based game company Cerebalfix.
Had a play around on/laughed at the games posted on cecil. Funny how such simple based games like Attack of the Killer Swarm can be so amusing. On facebook currently going through a Robot Unicorn Attack (http://apps.facebook.com/robotunicorn/play.html) phase, serves no purpose really other than waste time and laugh.
I feel like now I'm just ranting idea's that are popping into my head at the current moment soooooo I'm just going to stop for now.
Till the next post!
Manuel
I just had to pop in and say that Robot Unicorn is the friggin' sweetness. I do think the Heavy Metal version is the best, and the song in it is so bad it's good.
ReplyDeleteNice post Manuel. While I do think that academic studies are important for our understanding of games and their place in culture, I don't believe that increasing research on their use will change stereotypes, per se. I think the increased accessibility to gaming in general (i.e. the games which hardcore gamers mock: Wii, cellphone games, etc.) might be the way to acceptance. Either way, the stereotypes will probably still remain, just as other stereotypes have throughout the last few decades...think rocker, geek, etc. What do you think?
ReplyDelete