Just a quick post before I get back to my assignment.
I'd argue for a vast portion of people that play videogames, there is no narrative. This isn't because there isn't one included but because those people don't play them for a narrative experience. As such making it so their experience of the text was just a plow through with a rapid spam of ESC, X, A or START to get to the next exciting bit.
As people become more accustumed to genres of games the less involved with the story they need to be. When I play a FPS the backstory becomes less important, often because the game does not cover new ground and it is just a race to the first gun, so monster's heads can be popped off.
In WoW I can only imagine how many people are involved with the story telling and quest dialogue but even now the game designers are pushing the mad unthinking rush to finish a quest and move on, ensuring that people are less likely to be bothered with the boxs of boring writing between the player and their quest reward.
I've played a fair chunk of Oblivion but I have completely left behind the main story line. I have become a renowned thief and mage but the world has yet to be saved from oblivion, yet for me I am satisfied with this version of the game and feel like I have played enough of it.
As such, books and games will have their niches. If I want a story, I'll go to a book and if I want a game then I'll play the game. I think a main reason for this is the pace of the activity. Perhaps why Final Fantasy 13 is still sitting on my shelf largely unplayed. The designers tried too much narrative, too much cinematic and sitting back watching the action happen, I have little desire to actively play it. The book experience allows a relaxed environment for immersion and the proper context, whilst games the allure of advancing and winnings means that the text often gets in the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.