I just did a quick Google search on "Violence in video games" and another search on "violence in films" The number of results have more than doubled comparing the two topics. Violence in video games resturned with about 43,500,000 results. whereas violence in films returned with 20,700,000 results.
Video games violence has become a very large issue in the society. However, I agree with the lecture on Thursday when Kevin mentioned that a lot of the academics do not engage with the video games themselves as a player. They view the games being played on an outsider's perspective, which is only looking at the graphics.
However, there have been many YouTube videos on kids going crazy while playing video games such as Halo. >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5-q-sXACtA
This video is posted on YouTube under the comedy catagory. What's more interesting is that the tags that the person has posted it with comes with some violent and random tags, eg: britney spares is under its tags. What? what does Britney Spares has to do with the game Halo and a kid going crazy? The first time when I viewed this video, I find it quite disturbing because I have never seen anyone act so aggressive towards a videogame. Then I became skeptical thinking that it may be fake for the sake of the media that are against violence in video games: http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/parents/video_games/concerns/violence_videogames.cfm
which is my second Google search returned with words like this: "Young children have difficulty distinguishing reality from fantasy, which makes them more vulnerable to the effects of media violence. They may become more aggressive and fearful if they are exposed to high levels of violence in video games."
Personally, I am not against the violence in these games. They have many advantages such as improvement on hand-eye co-ordination and help players gain many skills; induce decision making and tech players to think on their feet; known to enhance creativity; improve language and math skills as players have to move at a great speed along with the heroes of the game...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.