Monday, January 10, 2011

Positive gaming story

The negative coverage of gaming is widespread, however I want to hypothesize some positive effects of video games for the future.

I found this article in a a vague Google (not Scholar) search with this directive and found this article. While it is very brief and rather presumptuous, it raises interesting ideas. I want to critique this subject with a positive bias, as if arguing the affirmative in a debate. This extends from my acknowledgment of the digitization of life, where it is clear that interactive media increasingly plays an all-encompassing role in daily life.

With this in mind, I find the article's point that games offer a realm for family members to be relevant. As this digitization of life occurs, it seems a more realistic 'if you cant beat them join them' attitude to engage with children playing video games in a more pro-active positive sense rather than to impose moral panic skepticism about video game induced violence and hysteria.

While this argument is taking a somewhat sci-fi path, I think that generally the interactive and media skills that children gain from playing video games are important and should be fostered rather than demonized.

The two points that stood out from the lecture for me from the lecture are that video games are unique in that they are capable of telling stories that cant be expressed in other media forms, and that video games are very young as a media form. Their cultural significance is undeniable, thus the study of them is of crucial importance for future cultures, as they evolve as fast if not faster than the methodology to study them.

Bill Hicks nailed it with drugs... I wonder what he would say about video games?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.