Firstly, it is worth noting I have not played video or computer games since the introduction of Sega's 'Alex the Kid'. This is not because I detest the gaming community, nor do I express pretentious reasoning, it is sincerely because I live in a culture ripe with entertainment outlets and I have no room for video games.
Tuesdays lecture encouraged me to recognize and direct my attention towards the world of technology and innovation. Prompting the question - What importance, past and present, has video and computer game development had on the advancement of hifi & telecommunication technology, medical technology, information technology and high technology? I believe advances that transformed the way the world receives moving images are among the top technological breakthroughs of the past quarter of a century. The hunger for bigger and better screens with which to watch the tailored programs or new video games is being met with technological improvements. Advancements made to ones television and movie screens – such as 3D imaging, plasma TV, HDTV and IMAX. Ones mobile phone, computer, living room, in some cases, are overtaken by the video game onslaught.
Most academics concentrate on the cultural influences of video games, rather than the technological breakthroughs. I believe video games are the greatest driver of technological change, and have directly cultivated my entertainment experiences without me even playing a single game.
Checkout the first two articles from this link - http://scholar.google.co.nz/scholar?hl=en&q=Innovation+and+Competition+in+Standard-Based+Industries%3A+A+Historical+Analysis+of+the+U.S.+Home+Video+Game+Market&btnG=Search&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_ylo=&as_vis=0
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.