One thing I have always been a sucker for in video games is how cinematic it can be. I know we were talking about some games in the lecture that pretty much go from play to video clip to play and so on. However, there is nothing quite like being as manly and rugged as Solid Snake in an epic like Metal Gear Solid - which I've followed from the first playstation game (not the old school atari ones).
The voice overs definitely act as a powerful cinematic feature even if some of them are a bit random such as Snake's brother Liquid being oddly British or his white ninja friend Gray Fox having the voice of a tobacco abusing black guy.
I understand they use celebs in some games, I guess because they have pull over some of the majority. Kingdom Hearts is a pretty good example as they have Hayley Joel Osment as the main guy Sora. You know... that kid that sees dead people? And the very lovely Hayden Panettiere as his galpal Kairi. I've just been smashing out KH2 just for nostalgia sake and mainly cause I can't afford a 360 or PS3.
I have noticed publishers have been trying to counteract this play time - clip time out with annoying things like pressing a button in time with the corresponding image through video clips like in the spiderman game.
Who knows, maybe in future we can put our virtual reality suits on and actually punch the Green Goblin in his Green Giblets.
Reg.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.