Saturday, January 22, 2011

"Fire, its very fire-ful"

So, in relation to violence in video games I wanted to focus on the context of said violence in the game. I have yet to find (although there are most likely several) a game that has extreme violence for the hell of it. Granted many games do go a little over board with the detail of graphic gore that they include, but if you actually you take sometime to check the game out in detail (aka play it), you will most likely find a reason for it. Take Dead Space for example. This game has got to be one of the most gorey games in creation but the violence is supported by the atmosphere and setting of the game. The violence level helps the player become immersed into the game universe.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri8LFci4xQ&hd=1 This is a link to a video about Dead Space 2, and a group of mothers brought in to watch selected scenes from the upcoming game. I found this interesting as it is not framed as a serious attempt to bring in support from outside the game's target demographic, rather solidifying the fact that this game has an (awesomely) obscence amount of violence and that since mothers will hate this game, it is just that much cooler. They are not shown proper cutscenes from the game, from what is described they are shown gameplay and several of the death scenes that occur (Dead Space includes multiple death scenes, they change depending on what kills you) throughout the game. I noted that it looked as though the scenes were given no context at all, and that could be a contributing factor as to why the mothers hated it so, or rather even more so. I do think that if this was a serious attempt to attain support from them, they would have explained why there was so much graphic violence.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.