Friday, February 4, 2011
Gamer's addiction, a myth?
Getting addicted to video games is a topic that I cannot relate to. But I think it mostly has to do with the fact that I do not really enjoy playing any types of video games. I would prefer to sit in front of the TV which I find sometimes I get really addicted to it or mostly the internet. But what does it mean when you’re addicted to something? Or let alone addicted to video games? Rob Cover tells the story of Jeanne from South Carolina who ignores real life and becomes situated within this fantasy world, which is one extreme example. A friend of mine, we call him ‘gamerholic’ which refers to his addiction to video games, during this past holiday he would not keep away from video games but at the same time he’s still the most fun, outgoing guy when we do go out, or when we find time to catch up but he cannot attach to Facebook or the TV like I do. I think it may just depend on the individual? Setting up a centre for addiction, Smith & Jones Centre, Keith Bakker had realised that gaming addiction is a real problem, it does not only have to be in extreme circumstances such as Jeanne, addiction can just mean not being able to control their time playing those games even though it has negative effects on their lives. I think, gaming addiction is not just a myth but different individuals experience different types of addiction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.